The following email exchange was in response to a public statement made by a Board of Education member indicating that inaccurate information was being presented by the Strong Schools Coalition. As we believe in transparency, we want to make this exchange public to our members to demonstrate our intent to research and ensure our information is 100% accurate. Unfortunately, the Board of Education members are unwilling to put in writing what information is inaccurate. We will continue to push for greater transparency and an open dialogue throughout public meetings.
- February 23, 2013: Board Director Benevento posts on an open Facebook page that the leadership of SSC is “inaccurate in many of their representations”.
- February 25, 2013: SSC write to Directors Benevento and Larsen to ask for clarification on what inaccurate information exists. (see email and comment here)
- March 12, 2013: After receiving no response, the SSC asks for confirmation of their email.
- March 12, 2013: Confirmation of the March 12 and February 25 email is received.
- March 14, 2013: Director Benevento includes comments about members of the SSC in his response to the District’s Sunshine Review rating. (see video)
- March 17, 2013: Director Benevento responds without providing details as to what statements are inaccurate.
- March 18, 2013: SSC again requests any written specifics in regards to inaccurate information and offers to host a public meeting where Director Benevento will be given the opportunity to present his concerns regarding the alleged inaccurate information.
- March 18, 2013: Directors Benevento, Larsen and Richardson decline to provide any written explanation.
- March 21, 2013: After receiving no response from Benevento regarding the offer to present at a public meeting, the SSC extends the same offer to the entire Board of Education and asks for a reply by March 23, 2013. (See the email here)
In summary, throughout the above exchanges, the Board Directors have stated:
- They are not willing to speak at a public meeting in April with the SSC where they would have an opportunity to speak to a public audience.
- Regarding inaccurate information, they are unwilling to provide any specifics in writing.